Applications are now closed!
AIGA Boston is proud to offer a unique enriching opportunity for an AIGA student member to explore design outside of the classroom. The AIGA Boston Emerge Experience Scholarship will be presented to a student member who demonstrates curiosity, creativity and community.
We are working with Stir Copenhagen to provide a sophomore or junior student member the opportunity to immerse in a 10-day sensory-based design tour of the city of Copenhagen, Denmark. Sensory-based design activities will guide you as you record the happenings of the city and the nuances of the culture. Stir Copenhagen is organized by two experienced and enthusiastic graphic designers and design educators, Stephanie Grey and Christine Gallagher.
You will meet with notable Danish designers, gain insight into their thought processes, tour design studios, visit modern and historic architectural sites, get a glimpse of Danish Royal life, bike through the cobbled city streets as the natives do, travel to a scenic part of the country to see the remarkable collection at the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, and much, much more.
The awarded member will have the cost of the trip ($3,900) for Stir Copenhagen covered by AIGA Boston in addition to a $300 stipend.
The cost of the Stir Copenhagen trip includes:
- airfare from your closest international airport
- hotel accommodations
- travel insurance
- breakfast every day, a welcome and a farewell dinner,
- three lunches
- local train and bus pass
- museum and planned activity entrance fees
- city bike tour
- two-day workshop with acclaimed type designers at playtype
- an opportunity to visit the wonderful Tivoli Gardens
- Castle tour
- customized design studio tour and activities
- modern architecture tour with a professional guide
- sightseeing tour
- canal tour
- an interior design tour of Danish homes
- and last, but not least, a full-time Danish tour guide
Application opens: December 1st
Deadline for submissions: January 8th
Recipient will be notified: January 22nd
Stir Copenhagen Trip: May 14-23, 2018
The application will be open online starting December 1, 2017 at boston.aiga.org. Below outlines each step of the process. It is recommended you gather all the materials first and then submit all information at once.
Before you Begin
In order to fill out the application, you must be a member of AIGA Boston. If you are unsure of your membership status or the chapter you are affiliated with, please reach out to email@example.com. If you need to renew your membership visit http://www.aiga.org/join.
Entries will be evaluated by a jury of AIGA Boston Board Members. In selecting the winning entry, jurors will consider a number of factors, including quality of submitted work, academic record, recommendations and strength of written statement of purpose. All applications will be notified of the results via email the week of January 22nd. The recipient of the award must accept no later than February 1st.
- Applicant must be a citizen of the United States or be in possession of a Green Card (formally known as a Permanent Resident Card or Form I-551)
- Applicant must be pursuing an undergraduate degree in a design or art discipline listed below and intend to pursue that discipline as a career
- Applicant must be in their Sophomore or Junior Year
- Applicant must be enrolled or planning to enroll at accredited colleges.
- Applicant must be an AIGA Boston member
- Student must have at least a 2.0 GPA
- Deadline: All entries must be received by January 8, 2018.
Majors/Areas of Study
This year we are offering our scholarship to a student in the following disciplines:
- Fine art
- Graphic Design
- Interactive Design
- User Experience Design
- Web Design
- Industrial Design
You will need to write a statement of purpose. In your statement, please address the following in no more than 800 words.
- Explain how your life experiences have influenced your creative work and career plans. How might a trip like this impact your creative work in the future?
- Why do you want to be a part of Stir Copenhagen? What do you hope to gain from this experience? How will you share your experience with the AIGA Boston community once you are back from the trip?
- Please submit up to 3-5 examples of your work.
- All pieces must be submitted digitally as images, photographs, links, files.
- You may submit links to your portfolio website, just make sure each project links directly to the page you want.
- All links can be submitted by copying and pasting the link into a TXT document and uploading the TXT.
- Each image must be less than 10MB. Your file formats should be one of the following: JPG, GIF, PNG.
- Label each file with last name followed by the number of the image. Label each file with the proper extension (.jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .png) File names must not contain any blank spaces or odd characters such as brackets or apostrophes.NO: “image.gif or “my file’s name*.gif”
YES: “Smith_1.jpeg or Smith2.gif”
You must provide your most recent college transcript with this application.
You will need to have a letter of recommendation from one individual who knows you and your work – teachers, employers, counselors, etc. Your teacher/employer will be able to upload the recommendation online at https://aigaboston.typeform.com/to/ZIH9WX
Deadline: January 8, 2018
Any questions about the AIGA Boston Emerge Experience Scholarship contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Graphic by Chris Caldwell